This healthy barley and mushroom casserole is a weeknight favorite on a winter evening in place of a hearty soup or chili. It also goes great as a side for grilled steaks or brisket.
I usually use button mushrooms but you can use portobello or any assortment of wild mushrooms.
I add grated or shredded Parmesan cheese just before the casserole comes out of the oven.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 # fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup of instant barley
- 2 cups canned chicken broth
- 2/3 cups of water
- Grated or shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Butter a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet.
- Saute the mushrooms in the butter until soft and slightly browned.
- Add the barley and let it brown.
- Pour the soup into a buttered 2-quart casserole dish.
- Add water and barley and mushroom mixture.
- Bake at 350 for 60 to 70 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese just before removing from the oven.
Recipe Credit: I'm not positive but I believe this recipe was given to me by Aunt Sheri.