I Love This Cake! Mamaw and Mother always made this cake! The cake and the frosting are made from scratch. Without fail, everyone who tastes this cake wants the recipe. I only make it on holidays ans special occasions becuase I could and would eat the whole thing!
- 2 C Sugar
- 2 cups Flour
- 2 sticks of Salted Butter or 1 stick of Salted Butter and 1/2 cup of Crisco
- 4 Tablespoon Cocoa
- 1 cup Water
- ½ cup Buttermilk
- 1 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoons Vanilla
- 2 Eggs Beaten
- CHOCOLATE SAUCEPAN ICING:
- 1 stick Butter
- ½ cup of Cocoa
- 6 teaspoons Hot Water
- 4 cups powdered sugar (1 box)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- ½ C chopped Pecans (optional)
- Preheat over to 400°
- Sift together sugar and flour in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan mix butter, cocoa, and water. Bring to a boil and pour into flour mixture while still hot.
- Mix well.
- In another bowl mix buttermilk, baking soda, vanilla, and eggs.
- Add to 1st mixture.
- Pour into a greased sheath pan (13x9x2) and bake for 20 minutes at 400°. When I am giving gifts I will use to square disposable pans. Best Gift Ever.
- While the cake is cooking gather the ingredients for the icing. As soon as the cake is removed from the over start making the icing. Once you add the sugar you will need to move fast. The icing will harden quickly.
- Frost with Chocolate Saucepan Icing.
- Boil the butter, cocoa, and water. Add sugar, vanilla, and beat by hand. Again, once you add the sugar, work fast. Pour the icing over the warm cake. Best cake ever. And if you are a little slow, no worries, you have great Fudge.