Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. Thanksgiving is my husband’s favorite holiday and was my stepfather Joe’s favorite holiday. There is something about Thanksgiving…maybe it’s simpler. Family, friends, a meal that you can always count on, and family tradition.
As Thanksgiving Day approaches, I’ve started thinking about the traditions we’ve had in my family, both as a child and an adult.
Much is still the same. Breakfast of sticky buns, bacon, and homemade banana or pumpkin bread. Then a traditional Thanksgiving meal: turkey with gravy and cranberry sauce, Mamaw’s dressing (stuffing), sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, and Parker house rolls. Every recipe was handed down from mamaw and Mother. I’ve been eating and preparing the same meal for 65 years! Unless I was a guest at someone else’s table.
But some things have changed. Thanksgiving seems to have become the unofficial beginning of the Christmas season. Thanksgiving used to last all day and into the evening. “Black Friday” has been around since I was born. But it wasn’t until around 2014, when Target and other retailers started opening at 6 pm on Thanksgiving day, that it became a much anticipated Thanksgiving day event.
I love Christmas! But I want to savor Thanksgiving and all of its little nuances before I move on to the next one.
Thanksgiving is wonderful for making memories.
A Few Of My Thanksgiving memories….
- The smell of the turkey roasting from the crack of dawn.
- The smell of Mamaw’s dressing and pumpkin pies.
- Setting the dining room table with our finest china, crystal, and silver. (I still use my mother’s china and crystal)
- Allan going around the table and asking us to share what we are thankful for.
- Football and more football. I grew up in Texas!
- Leftover turkey, dressing, cranberry, and mayo sandwiches on white bread.
Let me emphasize that “family” are not just those who share blood or a name or marriage. They are anyone who fate has tossed into the circle of your life and your notice and care.
THANKSGIVING IN HOUSTON WITH PAPA DAVE & GRANDMA LIL