- 1 (29 ounce) can sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
- For Crunch Topping:
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- ⅔ cup organic brown sugar
- ⅔ cup flour
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Drain the juice from the sweet potatoes.
- Place sweet potatoes in a sauce pan and mash to desired consistency.
- Add the brown sugar and butter.
- When ingredients are mixed place sweet potato mixture in a glass cooking pan.
- Layer with miniature marshmallows.
- Bake until marshmallows have melted and are browned.
- Bake in the preheated oven 25 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are tender and marshmallows have melted.
- Crunch Topping
- Combine the butter, brown sugar, flour, and pecan pieces in a small bowl, using your fingers to create moist crumbs.
- Sprinkle generously over the casserole.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, until the edges pull away from the sides of the pan and the top is golden brown.
- Let stand for the mixture to cool and solidify a little bit before serving.
- I use Trappey's Sugary Sam Golden Cut Sweet Potatoes Yams In Syrup. But, use whatever is available in your market.
- I also brown the marshmallows at the last minute using the broil setting.
- This recipe is easy to double.
- For a different taste, I use a crunch topping instead of marshmallows.
- My Mother made this recipe adding Pineapple Tidbits with no topping.
Recipe Credit: Mother and Mamaw